Making Cuban coffee ‘espuma’
Cuban style espresso is all about the preparation, and the loud conversation that follows.
- Brew espresso in a 3 cup stove top espresso maker. (Moka pot works best)
- Add 4 teaspoons of sugar into a large cup. (Optional: Add a dash of salt)
- Wait for very first draw of espresso, pour a couple teaspoons of that into the sugar. Let espresso finish brewing.
- Beat the first draw of espresso and sugar into a thick caramel colored foam ‘espuma’.
- When espresso finishes brewing, gently stir espresso into the ‘espuma’.
- Enjoy and talk very loudly. ;)
Another option is to brew in a regular coffee maker. Add milk, sugar and make café con leche (coffee and milk).
Tags: Cuban coffee | espuma | Moka pot |